Voluntary work is generally considered an altruistic
activity where a group of people provide services for no personal or financial
gain but merely for the benefit of the public. However, volunteers usually need
some support, including financial but not salaries, to cover the cost of
necessary tools, materials, and equipment to make the project happen.
Therefore, Rwanga Foundation is launching the project
of ‘Youth Volunteers Initiative’, which is an annual project to urge the female
and male youth to come up with project proposals and participate in a
competition to be funded and supported to implement their projects for the best
benefit of the public. The YVI project started in 2018 and since then it has
continued to fund the volunteer groups each year.
- 05/02/2023 until 02/05/2023 Applying initiatives (86 Days)
- 03/05/2023 until 25/05/2023 Evaluation and Selection (22
- 26/05/2023 until 15/06/2023 Preparation for starting the
initiatives (20 Days)
- 16/06/2023 until 20/10/2023 Implementing the
initiatives (126 Days)
- The ceremony of presenting the projects and their
outcomes will take place at the beginning of December 2023.
General Criteria and Standards
- The project should be within the framework of the
environmental sector, especially climate change.
- The project should be voluntary based and for the well-being
of the public, benefiting at least 200 people.
- The youth from all the governorates of Iraq will be
invited to submit their initiatives by filling in a project proposal form.
- Each group of volunteers should consist of a minimum
of five youth members (aged 18-35).
- Groups must not represent any NGO, institution, or any
other foundation; they should be formed of individual members of the society.
- The initiative project must not have been financially supported by any NGO, institution,
or any other foundation.
- Total budget of each project should not exceed 9,000,000
- The project budget should not include salaries or any
type of stipends for the volunteers, as it is a voluntary-based initiative.
- Project proposals should include a narrative,
financial part (detailed budget breakdown), and photos as well as other documents
including maps, designs, approvals, etc., as necessary.
- Groups that include both males and females are
- A special committee will review the applications and
select the best initiatives all over Iraq.
- Ten (10) initiatives in total will be selected and
Theme of the initiatives
The project should be within the framework of the
Environment Sector, particularly Climate Change.
Examples of the initiatives
- Addressing Climate Change
- Processing/eliminating plastic waste.
- Waste recycling
- Encouraging people, not to overuse water.
- Photography competition for protecting the environment.
- A campaign to clean the public and tourist places.
- Expanding green yard areas
- Protecting unsheltered animals
- Bee keeping training.
- Any project that serves the Environmental sector in
For more information: